OK, enough of serious news updates. While the LGBT revolution and impending struggles have their own significance, we cannot keep talking about them 24/7. With the new gay nightclub ‘Revolt’ that was recently unveiled in the Saxe Theater of Vegas. The most important aspect of this brand-new, glitzy venue is that it is a complete no-smoking zone. So party-lovers who cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke can breathe a sigh of relief (literally!) While you can make it to the preview party only by invitation, you can readily step in on Fusion Fridays where cover charges are heavily discounted and DJ Swift is all set to make you groove! Also don’t forget Sanctuary Saturdays and Style Sundays, offering the best venue to socialize. Thanks to http://kaiuksen.net/ for helping the cause!
It’s virtually impossible to wipe off the ghastly memory of the June-12 Orlando Night Club Shooting that ended up with 49 members of the GLBT Community brutally massacred by a deranged homophobic. Striving to pay a small tribute, the Loop Magazine has come out with this hash-tag of #OnePulseBuffalo and reaches out to the queers with much-needed love, support and empathy in this time of grief. Driving forth the point that LGBTs are one united global community, the magazine has published a special edition with 300+ beautiful gay portraits and 20+ articles voicing the sentiments of various factions of society in support.
Even in the present age of rising LGBT emancipation, not many public personalities take up a stance for them. And when a glitzy awards ceremony is concerned, this becomes an utmost rarity. This is exactly why we’d like to raise a toast to Jeffrey Tambor and his heartfelt speech at the Emmys this year, wherein he brought attention to the dire lack of transgender representation on television. He didn’t beat around the bush, and carried on with his speech exuding utmost clarity. It’s about time Production Houses and Talent Agencies gave LGBT artists a fair chance at displaying their talent. In the end, he also remarked that he’d definitely be game for an opportunity to play a female transgender on television, if given an opportunity. Kudos to this brave actor, who received the Emmy for ‘Outstanding Actor in a Comedy Series’. If you’re not hooked yet, he plays the role of Maura Pfefferman in Transparent, a Comedy Series on Amazon created by Jill Soloway.
One battle at a time, the queer voice its piercing its way through the globe. And it’s important to celebrate and commemorate every triumph, no matter how small or big it is. Amongst the only two jurisdictions of the British Isles that were yet to recognize the rights of gay people to solemnize their marriage vows (the other being Northern Ireland), Guernsey finally decided to make the transition. The verdict was given out in lieu of a public consultation in 2015, followed by landmark voting, backed by Anne Franks (annefrankdiaryreference.org/help.htm). Just to get the exact polling stats in, there was an opposition of 5 votes against the 13 votes that were in favor of this legislation. Incidentally, it was only about 10 days ago that the Pride Parade had been a huge success here, and for most members of the community, this was something that they were pinning their hopes on all along!
- Club Marcella: Renowned for its superb drag shows every Sunday, apart from the regular shows and electrifying dance floor and fun ‘sexiest underwear’ contests!
- Shaken, Not Stirred: If you’re a fan of class, this is the right place for you with its swanky ambience, innate classiness and popular martinis!
- Underground Nightclub: For those who’re in for shaking that booty every night, the Underground Nightclub located at Johnson Park is the place to be! Look out for Karaoke Mondays and DJ Nights. A truly cosmopolitan nightclub with equal patronage from gay and lesbian party-animals!
- Fugazi: Yet another upscale place that’s perfect to let the steam down with co-workers, clients and bosses. Watch out for the fabulous music, plush lounge seating and needless to state, great martinis.
- Ambush Lesbian Happy Hours: Sort of a lesbian-binding event more than a nightclub, that is organized once every month at various venues.
- Miss Kitty’s Martini Bar Patio- Situated on Main Street, this is one of the most-loved venues of Buffalo where lesbians exclusively intermingle and socialize.
- Funky Monkey Night Club: When it’s that time of the month and you’re almost broke, this is the place to be! Touted for its cheap beer and budget-friendly drinks and food menu, you can really have the time of your life without a worry!
- Illusions Nightclub: Known for its innovative cocktails and riveting music, this is an A-list spot for queers to unwind and have a blast!
- Q: Not very high-profile, but your cheap, friendly neighborhood place where you can drop in for a quiet drink and some moments of solitude.
- Cathode Ray: Another laidback place where you can find like-minded queers, as opposed to more ‘happening’ nightlife venues teeming with loud, thumping music and scores of youngsters only.